Making the Switch

After several months of consideration I finally went out and picked up the 15-inch, 2.33GHz MacBook Pro. I have needed a new computer for awhile now and I've been thinking about a MacBook Pro, but my Christmas present from my wife finally pushed me over the edge. She got me an Mbox 2 for music recording, but even with this awesome piece of hardware my old desktop was hopelessly underpowered.

I haven't done any development on the MacBook yet, I've been too busy playing with the Mbox and Pro Tools, but I plan on going through the ACME guide this weekend and getting this thing set up for ColdFusion development. I also need to get Windows XP set up with Boot Camp/Parallels. I want to be able to use this computer for gaming so the new Boot Camp support in the latest Parallels beta is just what I was looking for.

And while this may be a little premature, so far I've found the process of "switching" pretty painless. Don't get me wrong, I'm still trying to adjust to some of the differences between Windows and OS X -- I can't tell you how many times I've tried to press ctrl+c -> ctrl+v, or how many times I've found myself asking "How do I..." -- but for the most part things on the Mac have just worked. I was completely amazed when I first went to print something and the Mac automatically found my HP printer on the wireless network and set it up without me doing a thing.

I know I've got a long way to go to becoming a Mac power user, but I'm looking forward to it. If anyone has any suggestions for getting up to speed on the Mac and OS X please let me know.

Comments
Phil Duba's Gravatar Oh no, not you too! There must have been something in the water at (your old) work as everyone now seems to be getting a Mac!
# Posted By Phil Duba | 12/29/06 7:10 AM
Shivang Patel's Gravatar Welcome to the Mac World. I am sure you will appreciate the Mac OS day after day when you do not have to deal with Spyware and Viruses. Touche!
# Posted By Shivang Patel | 12/29/06 8:55 AM
Eric Rovner's Gravatar Welcome to the dark side, Nathan! Let me know if you have any questions.
# Posted By Eric Rovner | 12/29/06 8:57 AM
Nathan Mische's Gravatar @ Shivang: Thanks, I'm loving it so far. I know you have Parallels running on you MacBook, but have you ever taken a look at Boot Camp?

@ Phil: You know you want one :)
# Posted By Nathan Mische | 12/29/06 9:00 AM
Shivang Patel's Gravatar With Boot Camp you can boot into either one with Parallels will be able to use both OS's together. I have prallels running XP and Vista along with MAC OS. Boot Camp will not support that. You can read about <a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/">Boo... Camp</a> on apple's website.
# Posted By Shivang Patel | 12/29/06 9:07 AM
Tracy Smith's Gravatar I switched about 1.5 years ago. I was one of those PC guys that thought he would never switch. I'm now on my 3rd Mac. The MacBook Pro 17" with the 23" Cinema display was one of the best purchases I've ever made. It only took me about two weeks to get used to the "Mac way" of doing things. Once in awhile, I'll come across something that stumps me. Just try to not over think how to do things and you'll be fine. The worst part at the time was having to buy Mac Licenses for all the Macromedia software.
# Posted By Tracy Smith | 12/30/06 3:49 PM
Lola LB's Gravatar Give Quicksilver a try . . . I use it instead of the Dock.
# Posted By Lola LB | 12/30/06 6:21 PM
Michael Wolfe's Gravatar I'm soooo jealous!
# Posted By Michael Wolfe | 1/3/07 12:09 AM
David Stark's Gravatar It's about time! :-) You might find the MacOSXHints feed interesting/helpful (http://feeds.macosxhints.com/macosxhints/recent). The O'Reilly feed is interesting, too (http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/feed).
# Posted By David Stark | 1/7/07 2:04 PM
Nathan Mische's Gravatar Thanks David. I'll add those to my google reader.
# Posted By Nathan Mische | 1/7/07 10:02 PM