OT: What to do in Sydney/Melbourne

My wife has to travel to Australia next month for business so we though it would be a good idea for my daughter and I to tag along. Knowing I have a few Australian readers (and more who have visited I'm sure) I thought I'd ask for suggestions of kid friendly things to do in both Sydney and Melbourne. We will be in Sydney for three full days, staying in The Rocks, and Melbourne for two full days. We are looking for things to do, places to eat, etc. all with a 1 year old. And we still need to find a hotel in Melbourne, so any suggestions of places to stay would be much appreciated.

Comments
Ian Chia's Gravatar Melbourne is a very kid friendly place and generally pretty easy to get around, with a good tram and train network. What sort of a budget do you have for the hotel? Are you wanting to stay in the city?
# Posted By Ian Chia | 10/9/07 5:29 PM
andrew's Gravatar you can use wotif.com.au to get bargain last minute hotels in Melbourne.

Visit the botanical gardens in melbourne, the melbourne museum, the aquarium, the art gallery, wander down brunswick street and have some lunch. go for a walk in the docklands precinct, go to the victoria market on a saturday morning.
# Posted By andrew | 10/9/07 6:21 PM
Andy Matthews's Gravatar Sydney's Circular Queue is pretty nice. When I was there about 12 years ago they had a Sega World amusement park type of thing right down there that looked really cool. Riding on the trains is pretty fun, walking around downtown is really nice as well.
# Posted By Andy Matthews | 10/9/07 8:31 PM
Adrian's Gravatar In Sydney, I'd suggest a ferry trip to Manly from Circular Quay. You can walk to Circular Quay from the Rocks and the ferry trip provides a geat view of the harbour. In Manly, it's a short walk to a classic ocean beach. Lots of places to eat.
# Posted By Adrian | 10/9/07 8:47 PM
Nathan Mische's Gravatar Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

@Ian, we would like to stay in the city and we have a pretty decent budget.
# Posted By Nathan Mische | 10/9/07 10:01 PM
Meatlicious's Gravatar I hear the Outback steak house is great place to eat.
# Posted By Meatlicious | 10/10/07 9:58 AM
David's Gravatar Hi Nathan

if you're looking for something to do, this site has plenty of activities you can book in advance for a particular day (+ it's built in coldfusion so double-good!)

# Posted By David | 10/22/07 7:23 AM