Get ColdFire!

As you may have seen on Ray's blog, today we released version 1.0 of the ColdFire ColdFusion Debugger. For those that don't know ColdFire is extension to the Firebug Firefox extension, similar to YSlow, only ColdFire displays ColdFusion debugging info. To use ColdFire you need to install a custom debugging template on your server (coldfire.cfm) then configure ColdFusion to use this template via the Administrator. (Detailed installation instructions can be found in the download.)

Related Blog Entries

Comments
Terrence Ryan's Gravatar Just installed it. I love the new variable features. It really makes the whole thing indispensable.
# Posted By Terrence Ryan | 9/25/07 12:48 PM
Jason Harris's Gravatar Hrummm. I must have missed something, because I get no debugging output. Classic works ok. I have set the debugger to Coldfire and I get nada on the Coldfusion tab when browsing a CF page on my dev box. Here is my setup:
FF 2.0.0.7
Latest Firebug
CF 8

Any ideas? Thanks..
# Posted By Jason Harris | 9/25/07 1:43 PM
Nathan Mische's Gravatar @Jason - Did you install the ColdFire Firefox extension?
# Posted By Nathan Mische | 9/25/07 1:53 PM
Jason Harris's Gravatar @Nathan Always ask the obvious first. Yes, I did. I see the Coldfusion Tab in firebug, its just not displaying anything.
# Posted By Jason Harris | 9/25/07 2:00 PM
Nathan Mische's Gravatar @Jason - If you go to the Firebug Net tab do you see any response headers that begin with x-coldfire?
# Posted By Nathan Mische | 9/25/07 2:43 PM
Jake's Gravatar Has this been tested with CF 8? It looks like it is all working aside the variables I have nothing there.
# Posted By Jake | 9/25/07 2:45 PM
Nathan Mische's Gravatar @Jake - Did you add a variable you want to see dumped? If so you need to refresh the page to see the variable value.

Also keep in mind that ColdFire only has access to variables that are in scope for the page. By that I mean you couldn't dump a var scoped variable from within a component.
# Posted By Nathan Mische | 9/25/07 2:55 PM
Jason Harris's Gravatar @Nathan - No, I sure don't.
# Posted By Jason Harris | 9/25/07 2:56 PM
Nathan Mische's Gravatar @Jason - A few more obvious questions:
1. Is "Enable Request Debugging" check in the Administrator?
2. Are most of the options under "Custom Debugging Output" checked?

If those settings are enabled, can you check the request headers and see if the User-Agent string contains "ColdFire/1.0".
# Posted By Nathan Mische | 9/25/07 3:04 PM
Jason Harris's Gravatar Yes to the first questions.
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.7) Gecko/20070914 Firefox/2.0.0.7 ColdFire/1.0

Argh! What in the world could be happening you think?
# Posted By Jason Harris | 9/25/07 3:32 PM
Nathan Mische's Gravatar Could be that the coldfire.cfm is throwing an error for one reason or another.
# Posted By Nathan Mische | 9/25/07 4:01 PM
Terry Schmitt's Gravatar What is the official word on ajax requests? I have v1.0 installed and working for normal pages, but no output from ajax requests. Using Firebug, I can see the ColdFire data in the response header, but it is simply not displayed in Coldfire.
Pretty nifty tool as-is.
# Posted By Terry Schmitt | 9/25/07 8:28 PM
Nathan Mische's Gravatar @Terry - To be honest the code that populates the panel was written before I started working on the project so I'm not entirely sure. I do know that the class that writes the header data to the panel implements the nsIWebProgressListener interface, http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/nsIWebProgres.... I'll have to take a closer look at the code to see what is going on, but my guess is that listener is only firing for document loads, not XMLHTTP requests.
# Posted By Nathan Mische | 9/25/07 9:15 PM
ian's Gravatar I'm having the same problem - shows up in the header but doesn't output any results.
# Posted By ian | 9/25/07 10:28 PM
Nathan Mische's Gravatar @Ian - So you see x-coldfire headers in the response headers? If so can you post them?
# Posted By Nathan Mische | 9/26/07 4:49 PM
Michael Sharman's Gravatar Hi Nathan,

Fantastic tool, I've just started using it and I love it! Congratulations and well done!

Only one strange thing for me is that I get no 'variables' output when using FarCry, not sure why this is though.
# Posted By Michael Sharman | 9/26/07 8:04 PM
Nathan Mische's Gravatar Thanks Michael. I was planning on installing FarCry 4 in the next few days to do some testing. What version are you using?
# Posted By Nathan Mische | 9/26/07 9:34 PM
Michael Sharman's Gravatar @Nathan - I'm using FarCry 4.0.8
# Posted By Michael Sharman | 9/26/07 10:00 PM
Seb Duggan's Gravatar @jason/@ian: have you checked that your debugging output is not IP restricted? I think CF8 automatically turned this on for me... I got nothing in ColdFire at first until I changed this...
# Posted By Seb Duggan | 9/27/07 5:46 AM
ian's Gravatar Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.7) Gecko/20070914 Firefox/2.0.0.7 ColdFire/1.0

I made sure that all ip addresses were removed from the debugger. No luck.
# Posted By ian | 9/27/07 9:57 AM
Nathan Mische's Gravatar @Michael - I just tested with FarCry 4.0.3 and it seems to be working for me. I tested by dumping request.stobj on the default home page.

I did however hit what appears to be a bug. If you try to dump a large variable, say the entire request scope, you get nothing. We split large values into multiple headers and there appears to be an issue joining them back together in the ColdFire extension. (This issue was first reported by Ruslan Sivak on the ColdFire site.)
# Posted By Nathan Mische | 9/28/07 11:51 AM
ian's Gravatar CF 1.0.0.1 doesn't fix the empty debugger bug.
# Posted By ian | 9/28/07 4:35 PM