Learning Flex

After about two years of threatening to learn Flex I'm finally doing it. I started by completing the "Adobe Flex 2 Rich Internet Applications" DVD-ROM course from Total Training. I won this a while ago at a CFUG meeting and have been meaning to get to it ever since. I have to admit, I wasn't sure how I'd like the format given that I usually learn by reading a book on a particular topic then experimenting, but I liked the course. And I know what your thinking, "Flex 2?," but from what I can tell the basics of Flex haven't changed much from Flex 2 to Flex 3, so I found the course very helpful. I'd even recommend it to someone looking to learn the basics of Flex in a hurry.

Comments
Phil Duba's Gravatar So can I now finally see some commission from that user group meeting, :)
# Posted By Phil Duba | 5/13/08 1:45 PM
Josh Tynjala's Gravatar Check out the PureMVC framework. It made a lot more sense to me than Cairngorm.
# Posted By Josh Tynjala | 5/13/08 5:37 PM
Johan's Gravatar I foudn the TT CD a good intro and the Flex "Training from the Source" book even better - there is a new edition for Flex 3.

As far as frameworks I have gone with EasyMVC from Tom Bray which has some of the nice bits from Cairngorm (modelLocator, commands) but is as the name implies easy to get your head around. Nice series of atricle here: http://clockobj.co.uk/2007/10/17/simplified-cairng...
# Posted By Johan | 5/13/08 7:46 PM
Nathan Mische's Gravatar Thanks for the additional framework suggestions.

@Josh - I had heard of PureMVC but thought it was geared more toward pure ActionScript development rather than Flex. I'll have to give it a look.

@ Johan - Is this the same EasyMVC that was released by Simeon Bateman?
# Posted By Nathan Mische | 5/13/08 9:18 PM
Chris Bartling's Gravatar Look at the Prana Framework for IoC/DI facilities. I have successfully used in with Cairngorm. Information about it at http://www.pranaframework.org/.
# Posted By Chris Bartling | 5/19/08 3:50 PM
Nathan Mische's Gravatar @Chris - Thanks for pointing me to Prana, it looks very interesting. I particularly like the ability to configure Cairngorm command sequences. Something about hard coding the nextEvent in a SequenceCommand just didn't smell right to me.
# Posted By Nathan Mische | 5/19/08 9:54 PM