Last year I put together JSONUtil as a proof of concept solution to the issue of ColdFusion's implicit type conversion during JSON serialization. There were some issues with the 1.0 release, and I've had a few people submit patches, but because I had considered the project an experiment I didn't really take the time to update the official release.
Well, last week I was working on an AJAX project where I was making XHR requests to ColdSpring remote proxies using ColdFusion's built in JSON return format when I began running into issues with implicit type conversion. Specifically I had a method that should have returned a query with string values, however numeric strings were getting converted to decimal numbers. (For example the string "001" was being converted to number 1.0.) Because I was already using ColdSpring to generate the proxies I decided to put together a JSONUtil based ColdSpring advice component to handle the serialization. The advice turned out being so handy I thought I'd package it up and include it in the JSONUtil release.