As you may have heard Ray Camden and Rob Gonda recently made some updates to RIAForge which allow project owners to share SVN access. After this update Ray was kind enough to give me access to the ColdFire repository and since then I've done some reorganizing. So, what will you find in the ColdFire SVN repo?
A little over a week ago I became aware a 0-day security exploit in ColdFire. I finally have a working fix which Ray has just released over at RIAForge. I strongly recommend that all ColdFire users download and install the latest version (1.003) as soon as possible.
Today Ray and I released ColdFire 1.002 which fixes a few minor issues with JSON encoding. If you were having problems with the variables feature of ColdFire this update may fix your issue. Be sure to update both the Firefox extension and coldfire.cfm debugging template. You can get both via the download at RIAForge.
We have also been discussing upcoming features so if there is something you would really like to see be sure to let us know via the RIAForge site.
A few people have reported that they are unable to see debugging in the ColdFire Firebug panel. I've been unable to reproduce these issues so I thought I put together a quick post on how ColdFire works in hopes that it may help people debug their issues.
Ray just posted version 1.001 of ColdFire over at Riaforge. This version should now work when you open Firebug in a new window.
As you may have seen on Ray's blog, today we released version 1.0 of the ColdFire ColdFusion Debugger. For those that don't know ColdFire is extension to the Firebug Firefox extension, similar to YSlow, only ColdFire displays ColdFusion debugging info. To use ColdFire you need to install a custom debugging template on your server (coldfire.cfm) then configure ColdFusion to use this template via the Administrator. (Detailed installation instructions can be found in the download.)
On Sunday Ray quietly released version 0.0.6 of ColdFire. With this version, the ColdFire extension actually modifies the user agent by adding "ColdFire/0.0.6" to the end of the string. This allows the coldfire.cfm debug template to check the user agent header for this string and only return debugging info if it is present. This means you shouldn't encounter much debugging overhead if you don't have ColdFire installed or if you choose to disable Firebug for your site. ColdFire only modifies the user agent header if Firebug is enabled.
While this may seem like a minor update it actually involved some major changes to the FireFox extension code. The biggest change was the addition of an XPCOM object to handle the request header modification. Compiling an XPCOM typelib requires the Gecko SDK and unfortunately there isn't an Intel Mac build of the SDK. While I could have tried to build it myself, in the interest of time I ended up switching to my PC for extension development. Even then, building the typelib wasn't exactly straightforward. If you find yourself trying to build a XPCOM component on Windows you may find the following helpful: Find xpidl.exe in Gecko SDK for compiling IDL files.
Anyway , enjoy and look for more ColdFire updates soon.